Sunday, October 21, 2012

C'est la vie mes amies, c'est la vie


La tour effel! Tres bien vino!
O'DONNELL DRIVEWAY, PARIS, TEXAS --- Not that I subscribe too much to these sorts of things but I spent my six month wedding anniversary Friday at a fancy hotel in Dallas, alone. The allure of gay Paree wasn't enough to subdue my wonderlust so I ventured into a new city for me for some adventure. I won't bore you with the "why" other than to say the institution of marriage - likely combined with being business partners with your spouse inside a 20-foot box - is not for the faint of heart. I'm terribly aware - knowing some of my family reads this - that such matters should normally be kept private but frankly it feels a relief to just type this. I've spent three decades never realizing what true partnership entails. Yes, yes, one can claim to understand it with parents, siblings and that incredibly small half-handful of people who are true friends but I don't think a person can appreciate this institution until they have tried it. I believe another portion of my angst or wonder is being a person who has willfully wandered into military territory, particularly being a, ahem, Marine wife - the spouse of a human being who spent 20 plus years doing things most cannot imagine and in fact would have nightmares about. My day-pass of relief consisted of giving a homeless man a C-note, eating a great chili cheese dog from a street vendor and taking a bath. There was a bit more seen and done but I digress.

Fast forward a day and via train, Iraqi Muslim cabbie and a lot of walking, I returned "home." I stopped, of course, at a tav named One Eyed Jacks and availed myself of the local color and spirits (which, in Texas, is both easy and brutal to find on any given day and at many locations, if you can understand that) and then Don picked me up and we headed north to the O'Donnell driveway where we have lived since Wednesday. Today we hit Wally World for supplies and new bedding because the Jefferson rainstorm rendered our accomodations toxic. We have patched, sealed, scrubbed and brought the BFT back to some life, all in spot that is very pretty. John and Chris have a lovely estate in the most wooded of areas in east Texas. There are trees everywhere that are shedding their leaves and other than the occasional yap from a terrier near the manse, the situation is ideal. The dogs run freely and smile constantly. Sun shines through the timber and there is a nice breeze. Air conditioning, though, is still a must.

My return was greeted with hugs and reminders that it's OK to take a break and, well, gifts, of which, of course, I never expect but always appreciate. There was no bended knee, but Don presented me with a lovely opal ring. I was relatively unfamiliar with this stone but Chris, a  connoisseur of these gems (seriously, the woman buys in bulk from Australia), claims the Marine outdid himself. I agree. Later in the day, Chris came roaring up the driveway in her fast car and launched the biggest gift box and bow I'd seen in a while. The contents - a belated wedding present - were wonderful. She, knowing that my favorite city on Earth is Paris, France, gave me a glass set from Paris, Texas that is engraved with the Eiffel Tower. It was complemented by some very lovely candles. I burn one of those as I write, as well as sip Diet Dr. Pepper from one of the new vessels.

We supped at a great pub last night - just the four of us. It was a joy to feast on perfectly chilled raw oysters with three fellow sea bug lovers.Tomorrow, we finish up some laundry and I will make cheeseburgers on the grill for the O'Donnell family. We head south Monday to Point Blank, Texas, which sits on what appears to be a lovely lake. The Porkchops Icehouse rally will be very small but that's OK. If we can assist a rider or two, the event paid for itself. Then, it's off to Galveston for the granddaddy of rallies - the Lone Star.

We still don't know what the off-season holds. My father said Barnum and Bailey usually winter in Sarasota but that Phoenix is a much nicer seasonal destination. I suspect Texas will hold us until Spring. Unless I actually write my book or publish something, there's a likelihood I will land as a copy editor at some local daily rag or be a Walmart greeter, the former being my preference. I am thankful for Don, my family and friends, the dogs, and for being upright and breathing without too much physical pain.

Thanks for bearing with my rambles. Ride safe and be well.

Hol......

 

No comments:

Post a Comment