Saturday, February 23, 2013

Tasty

DATELINE GRAY COMPOUND, HONDO, TEXAS --- This place delivers the majestic sunsets as regularly and near-perfectly as General Gray throws down on sumptuous, flavor-filled meals.

During one of our regular, well-deserved and relaxing garage happy hours this past week, I mentioned to Chief (Bill Gray) that I was going to buy a mess of Texas BBQ from a local shack to serve my Mom when she reached Hondo Saturday night. NOT! said the Charro pimp-eh-knee-sta. I will BBQ, he declaired. Shop, prep and get the hell out of they way, he demanded! Man, it drives me nuts he's right so often.

Wonderful BBQ pork ribs with a pot of beans soaked in ham hocks, tater salad and slaw - we guilded the lily with mini pecan pies and Girl Scout cookies (I'm a sucker on scout stuff; it's the only time I can honestly claim my 'medal' stack has ever been larger than Ding's Marine stack).

My Mom had a wonderful time - we all did. She's here for a couple days. Business is very steady so we're takin a couple days off to do the Alamo, Riverwalk and some more great food. Next rally is Cut-n-Shoot March 1.

Bob has a problem washing her feet in every water bowl on the compound. We think Thumper wrestled with the cat - scratched lower eye area. Otherwise, they play, eat and sleep, in abundance. We are guessing they miss the thoroughfare, which Bob actually told Don yesterday. You know you're getting old when....

The Crew

p.s. Ding got the second of a few 50th birthday gifts (March 8) First was a "man plant" from my Mom and next was a cow bell from me that say's "Ring 4 Ding." We needed a customer door bell, why not, eh?

p.p.s. My Uncle sent a good one....A small card that has Calamity Jane on front from Deadwood that states "Everyday takes figuring out all over again how to fucking live."





No comments:

Post a Comment