Friday, August 10, 2012

Carnivale ala 2012







BRANDING IRON SALOON PARKING LOT SOUTH OF BELLE FOURCHE SOUTH DAKOTA--- I know, I know. I'm best served, and moreso our supporters, by blogging daily or at least every couple of days. For those who really know me, this technology, social media gig has been slow on the get-go and I have more days than not when I could absolutely give a rat's-a@@ about using the tools. That said, right now, with my hubby napping and my dogs snoring, inside of a meat locker cool trailer that has clean dishes and 10,001 dead flies hanging from the ceiling on sticky paper - I'm in the mood to write. What comes to mind most immediately is how utterly clearly you experience firsthand the on-going recession and rocketing unemployment rate while on the road. Sturgis - the grand-daddy of all rallies - is not the same run it used to be. I remember coming to this rally even five years ago and seeing a lot more people on the move, camping, spending money and partying. We had spells of time today in which the road was silent. This is a very eerie occurance as carnies. Normally, the roar of the road is constant, morning, noon and night. Business has been steady until this afternoon. We've made our nut but we are not on profit, yet. The TNT tattoo crew - wonderful folks named John, Terrie and Mack out of Illinois-ish - have been dreadfully slow. They are seasoned pros at this and take it in stride that some rallies and locations pull it in and some don't. In an effort to kick-start TNT, Ding and I did what our parents hoped we wouldn't and GOT TATTOOS! This time, I went with a small but brillantly colored sprig of holly. It's subtle, not in eyesight and very nice. It resides on my back with the others. After four combat tours that saw Ding wrestling the Middle East, he went with the Old English font of the word INFIDEL. He says the enemy wanted to "Kill the Infidels" so he believes branding himself clearly on the arm was a good way to let them know who to shoot at. It looks good and boy did he earn it. We will wrench a couple of more days and then likely take up residence at the Sunset Motel down the way. Ding's buddies Rob and Patty own it and they will give us a good non-rally rate, starting Monday. Since we did bring in a couple of bucks this week, I splurged and bought a huge hunk of meat for the crock. I will sear and then stew overnight in good beer and then tomorrow at the end of the day, I've promised homemade guac, pico de gallo, fresh-squeezed margaritas and shreadded beef tacos for everyone. The road has brought back my desire to cook. Now if only the magazine and book writing urge would reappear. That's about all I've got. We had breakfast for dinner last night - my egg, potato, bacon and grilled onion burritos - and then blazed into Sturgis for a look. You know it's a slow year when you can pull up and park right in front of your favorite rally bars. Didn't buy any rubber drums or tomahawks. I think tonight will be steak tips and salad from the Branding Iron and then maybe a nice shower in the rain tank Terrie and I built yesterday. Thumper and Bob swell. More at some point....Hol, Ding, Thumper and Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment